Sunday, April 27, 2008

Interview with Donald Knuth

I've seen [this interview with Donald Knuth](http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1193856) linked a few times, and I also found it very interesting. In particular, I found it interesting that he:

- uses EMACS/TeX -- after writing everything by hand.
- does not particularly care for unit tests
- is a big fan of (i.e., invented) [Literate programming](http://www.literateprogramming.com/)
- is not a big fan of multicore processing (he does note, however, that physics and biology as exceptions where multicore programming makes sense..)

I have to admit, that I am on his side in terms of the unit testing and literate programming issues. I find that my biggest chalange in programming is not getting the code right (i.e., unit tests), but rather designing the way the function/class will behave for the user. Writing down what you expect the program to do in different cases (i.e., the API documentation) seems to be the best way to write a good, solid program.

No comments:

Post a Comment